Saturday, September 2, 2017

On True Love

There is a saying that the universe was born out of love. I do not know about the universe, but it is pretty clear that people are born out of love. The love makes people do all sorts of strange things. Some go great distances to be with their beloved. Some might sacrifice the most valuable thing, their life, for the sake of their beloved. It seems that what we call the love is pretty complicated thing. So what is a love? As many things in our lives, it is hard to define it with words, one needs to feel it. Strong castles of logic break under the pressure of the love. Oftentimes people love each other for no apparent reason. The only reason they give, because it is as it is..
Do not ask me to define love as some mathematical expression, for I have no idea how to do it. But I can try to describe effects of a love on one's life. When people truly love something, they become limitless, they have no sense of fear. A true love does not wither away with time. It does not subside when object of love is not present. A very opposite seems to be true, when object of the love is far away, love makes one strive to the beloved. Such love is not shaken by illusory things, such as fear. Where there is true love, there is no place for the fear. A true love seems to be immortal.
When one observes the history of humanity, it becomes quite clear that greatest feats were carried by the feeling of love. Giants of thought such as Einstein, Feynman and Shannon were in love with the universe and laws governing it. They were loyal to their love until death took their souls away. The beautiful equations that we study these days are artefacts of their love. These equations describe diverse topics ranging from matter to light and information. These people were able to find the relationships between those different objects. Thanks to these equations we are aware of interconnectedness of the universe we live in. These equations reminds us of greatness human beings can achieve when they truly love an object of high value.
Those who truly love, do not seem to expect any returns from their beloved. Mothers do not expect any returns from their children. Great minds did not expect a wide recognition or great riches for their pursuits. Once, I have heard Peter Thiel mentioning about inefficiencies of the current economic system which does not reward contributions of scientists as much as it rewards contributions of the entrepreneurs. Mr. Thiel has a point here, we need to find ways to reward scientists more justly. But one should realize that greatest scientists we have seen were not after money, rather they were after the universe, their beloved. It would not make any difference to them personally if people rewarded them with billions on top of their normal salary. On the other hand, scientists whose main aim is money, seem to have much lesser contribution than those who pursued research for its own sake. After all universe should know its true lovers.
I might not know about true love, for I do not know if I ever loved somebody or something truly. But I tasted glimpses of love. It made me feel peaceful. It gave meaning to my life. I want to be in love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment